When you’re decorating your home, sometimes you might leave the bathroom for last. Even if we tend to spend a lot of time in our bathrooms, they’re often overlooked when it comes to decorating. That’s why we’ve come up with a few easy tips to turn your bath into a relaxing and soothing oasis for yourself and your guests, without spending a lot of cash.
1. Consider painting the whole room, including the ceiling a deep, rich color. Even though it might be a small room, a deep color on the walls gives it more depth and at once makes the room cozy and seemingly more spacious.
2. Get rid of the clutter! If you can’t get most of the makeup and shaving cream under the sink, and who can?, a few baskets from the dollar shop will often do the trick. Also, make sure there’s a hamper to hide away all the dirty clothes or clean towels. If you are short on space, use the kind that hangs on the back of the door. A large drawstring bag would work for this also and it’s one that your kids might actually even use.
3. Dress up that large frame-less mirror. Cover the edges with fabric, using hot or fabric glue. This will hide and soften the look of the mirror and give it a nice frame. Or, you can also use cut lengths of 1×4 lumber, attaching them to the wall over the edges of the mirror to simulate a real wood frame. You can paint or stain them as well to match the color of your cabinets.
4. Speaking of cabinets, how about giving them a quick redo? Paint them black for a sophisticated look or white with sponge painting for a country theme. Try any of the hot faux finishes, you can even paint the Formica counters. Just clean well and use a special primer first such as BIN or KILZ. Then seal with 4-6 coats of polyurethane after the paint dries. It should last for years!
5. Lastly, mind the details. Sew fabric edging to your towels, add a shell for a soap dish, and stitch up a pretty shower curtain to cover that vinyl one. Hang some framed pictures on the wall of a faraway place that you’ve always wanted to visit. And, as you soak away your cares, allow yourself the possibility of one day traveling to that place. Many a great idea has come from when you’re relaxing! If you have natural light in the room from a window, add a plant or two (a little green always works to bring freshness into your bathroom.
Now, light up some candles, turn on some relaxing music and fill your bath with sweet smelling bubbles. Your dream getaway awaits!